Mr. Stevens is the Owner and Chief instructor of Stevens Family Taekwondo located in Murfreesboro, TN. www.stevenstkd.com He started his training in the late seventies under the instruction of a family member Robert Morris. He then trained under Robert Morris’s instructor Master Shin Young Kong in the early eighties. He met Master Robert Hardin in 1987 and joined the MATC a short time after that under the instruction of one of Master Hardin’s students, Mr. Brad Whitlow. Mr. Stevens was promoted to the rank of 7th Dan by Grand Master Hardin in October of 2011.
Mr. Stevens is the very proud father of two wonderful children. Jack R. Stevens III, who also shares is father’s passion for Taekwondo.. He started Taekwondo at the age of 3, and recently tested for 4th degree black belt . His daughter, Jamie Leigh Stevens is currently working on her black belt and attending college at M.T.S.U.
Mr. Stevens loved competing in Taekwondo throughout his long career in the art, and now takes joy in the many great competitors that have came through his school. He has numerous national champions, and several students that have gone on to open their own schools. Mr. Stevens now has students that he oversees running schools in Smyrna, TN, Shelbyville, TN, Alpharetta, GA, Atlanta, GA and a satellite club in Murfreesboro, TN.
Mr. Stevens loves the fact that he has a school that is just as it is named, a big family. He never tires of watching students go through the ranks of Taekwondo and seeing the effect that it has on their lives. These students are more than students to him; they are indeed a part of his family. His goal is to continue to teach traditional Taekwondo in a strong and loving way for as long as the good lord will allow him to.
Organizations and activities:
- · Board member: Rape Recovery and Prevention Center 2004
- · Vice President: Rape Recovery and Prevention Center 2004-2005
- · President: Rape Recovery and Prevention Center 2005-2006
- · Co-chair for the 2004 and 2005 Rutherford County Health Fair
- · Currently serving on the Rutherford County Health and wellness committee. Serving since 2004
- · Jazz fest committee member 2004-2005-2006
- · Served as an advisor and guest speaker for the Youth Ranch. (Court ordered program for high risk teenagers that have been taken from their homes.)
- · Owner/Chief instructor of Stevens Family Taekwondo, Owned and operated since 1995
- · Started the Rape awareness, Self defense and Rape aftermath program in 1997.
- Extracurricular Activities or special honors:
- · Member of the 1993 U.S. Taekwondo team (Moscow, Russia)
- · Outstanding Instructor 1995
- · Martial arts club of the year 2000
- · Senior service award 2001
- · Outstanding Leadership Award 2002
- · C.T.F. Master of ceremonies 2003-2004-2005-2006
- · Outstanding Service Award 2004
- · C.T.F. Instructor of the year 2004 and 2008
- · C.T.F. Small Club of the year 2000
- Additional Education/Training:
- · C.P.R. instructor (American Heart Assoc..)
- · First Aid instructor (Red Cross)
- · A.E.D. instructor (American Heart Assoc.)
- · Blood borne pathogens instructor
- · P.P.C.T. Â Certified
- · Counter control measures instructor
- · Asp baton instructor
- · Chemical weapons specialist
- · Assault Shotgun Certified instructor (Less Lethal)
- · Graduate of: Leadership Rutherford 2005
- · Over 30 hours of management courses through the U.S. Department of Justice.
- · M.T.S.U. 26 hours credit towards Criminal Justice Degree (Life long studies plan)